Get Quotes from Top Contractors in New Orleans, LA

How to Verify a Professional's License in New Orleans?

There are about 45 agencies that regulate and handle the licensing of eligible professionals in New Orleans at both the state and city level. This includes state-level agencies like the Board of Architectural Examiners, the Real Estate Appraisal State Board of Certification, and the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors (LSLBC), as well as city-level agencies like the New Orleans Department of Safety and Permits, which issues local licenses to building professionals like electrical and mechanical contractors. Regardless of the professional service required, it is always expedient that you verify the licensing status of the professional you intend to hire with the appropriate agency. For instance, you can verify a building professional's license in New Orleans by using the Contractor Search tool provided by the LSLBC. This feature allows you to search for a licensed professional by name, license type, license number, and location. You can also confirm if an electrical or mechanical contractor has been licensed by the City by contacting the Department of Safety and Permits at (504) 658-7200.

Besides verifying a building professional's licensing status when preparing to undertake a building project, you must also obtain the required local permits before beginning work. These building permits are obtainable from the City's Department of Safety and Permits. To find out about the building permits requirements, you may contact the Department of Safety and Permits on (504) 658-7200.

Louisiana Contractor License Search:

Do New Orleans Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The New Orleans City Council consists of seven members, two elected at large and five from the districts. This Council is the legislative arm of the city government and is responsible for enacting all the local laws governing the city. Although the council reviews and legislates over major economic development projects in the city, it does not issue building permits. However, it reviews and oversees matters concerning land use and zoning in New Orleans. For instance, the city council recently approved an $11 million housing development project that will rebuild some destroyed houses and build new apartments for low-income citizens in Hollygrove. Likewise, in September 2021, the city council unanimously passed two ordinances to fund disaster relief following Hurricane Ida that destroyed various homes.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in New Orleans?

Residents of New Orleans can report unfair or deceptive business practices to the Louisiana Office of the Attorney General through its Consumer Protection Section. Complaints and reports can be filed by calling the Consumer Protection Section Hotline at (800) 351-4889 or completing an online consumer dispute form. Alternatively, aggrieved parties may download and complete a Consumer Dispute Form, and then submit the completed form via mail or in person at:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Section
  • P.O. Box 94005
  • Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005

It is important to note that the Office of the Attorney General only handles disputes relating to consumer protection and civil unfair trade practices. It does not deal with matters concerning utility companies, airlines, insurance claims, state or municipal agencies, elected or public officials, child support claims, or employee-employer conflicts. Any complaint received by this office that does not fall under its jurisdiction is typically referred to the appropriate agency.

However, if the dispute is within the Office of the Attorney General's jurisdiction, a copy of the consumer dispute form, as well as any other documents provided, would be sent to the business in question, along with a request for a response. On receiving a response, this office reviews it and then forwards it to the complainant. This review may take up to four weeks or more, depending on the nature of the dispute. If the Office of the Attorney General believes that the dispute can be resolved through communication, it may subject the dispute to mediation and appoint mediators to settle the issue. In situations where it is determined that there is a pattern of unfair and deceptive trade practices, the Office of the Attorney General may launch an investigation into such practices with the aim of eliminating them.

Note that the Office of the Attorney General will not provide you with legal advice or act as your personal legal representative, nor will it carry out litigation on your behalf. However, you can contact a private attorney and pursue legal action against the party at fault at the Orleans Civil District Court.