Lafayette Contractor License Search

How to Verify a Professional's License in Lafayette?

Professionals in Lafayette receive their licenses from boards such as the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors (LSLBC), the State Plumbing Board of Louisiana (SPBLA), Louisiana Real Estate Commission, and the Louisiana Board of Architectural Examiners. When you decide to hire a professional in the City of Lafayette, you should ensure they are licensed to perform the work that you are about to hire them to do. This ensures that your project does not fail and that the job is handled by a competent individual. To verify a professional's license before hiring them in Lafayette, you can use the Interactive Web Portal provided by the LSLBCto search the records of their respective licensing boards.

Aside from ensuring the validity of a professional's license, you may be required to secure a permit before your hired professional can commence work on your proposed project. This is usually the case with most construction-related activities. The Permits and Codes Division of the City of Lafayette issues permits for residential and commercial buildings for construction-related work, including, but not limited to, electrical installations, mechanical installations, and plumbing. For information on an expansive list of work requiring permits and to direct any inquiries you may have on the process, you can contact the Lafayette Permits and Codes Division at (337) 291-8461.

Do Lafayette Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The City of Lafayette is home to several neighborhood councils, associations, and groups. These groups are the foundation for cooperation and decision-making amongst the residents of the city. However, these groups are not authorized to issue permits for construction or building-related work. Regardless of this, they work in collaboration with state agencies such as the Lafayette City Council and the Lafayette City Neighborhood Planning to ensure proper development in their various communities.

In September 2021, it was announced that a building permit had been filed, and construction valued at $1.6 million had begun, for the move of the Burlington Store in Lafayette to a new location. Similarly, In October 2021, it was reported that the City of Lafayette had issued a building permit worth $900,000 for the construction of an outlet for a famous restaurant brand near the intersection of U.S. 52 and Cumberland Avenue.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Lafayette?

Residents of Lafayette can file unfair and unlawful business complaints with the Consumer Protection Section of the Louisiana Office of the Attorney General. You can file a complaint by calling the Consumer Protection hotline toll-free at (800) 351-4889, or you can fill in an online Consumer Dispute Form. Alternatively, you can also download, print, complete, and submit a pdf Consumer Dispute Form to:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Section
  • PO Box 94005
  • Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005
  • Fax:(225) 326-6499

For clarifications or inquiries you may have on filing your complaint, you can call the Consumer Protection hotline at (800) 351-4889. While the Consumer Protection Section attempts to resolve disputes through mediation, it may refer some disputes to other agencies, depending on their nature and the circumstances surrounding them. It should be noted that the Consumer Protection Section does not provide legal services on your behalf nor can it act as your attorney. If you are unable to settle the complaint with the business, you can exercise your right to file a small claims lawsuit at the Lafayette City Court situated at:

  • 105 East Convent Street,
  • Lafayette, LA 70501
  • Phone:(337) 291-8720
  • Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday

Small claims suits allow a less complicated and more affordable option for aggrieved persons to present their civil matters in court if the amount in dispute does not exceed $5,000. It is advisable to secure the services of an attorney before proceeding with your small claims lawsuit.