Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Baton Rouge, LA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Baton Rouge?

About 45 different agencies handle the licensing of eligible professionals in Baton Rouge. This includes the Professional Engineering and Land Surveying Board, as well as the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors (LSLBC), which is responsible for licensing and regulating over 26,000 building professionals. When hiring any of these professionals, it is your responsibility to ensure that the professional is licensed with the relevant agency. You can verify the license of Baton Rouge professionals by using the appropriate license search tool provided by the relevant licensing agency of the professional in question.

In addition to verifying the licensing status of your preferred professional, you may need to obtain certain permits before commencing your project. You can obtain such permits from the city's Department of Development through its Permits and Inspections Division. You can call (225) 389-3160 or (225) 389-3205 to get more details on how to obtain the necessary permits for your project,

Louisiana Contractor License Search:

Do Baton Rouge Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

There are 12 districts in Baton Rouge, and each of these districts elects one representative to join the city's Metropolitan Council. You can find out the council member representing your district by using the Council District Lookup. The Baton Rouge Metropolitan Council has several primary functions, which include passing new legislation into law, amending existing policies and ordinances, levying taxes, approving mayoral appointees, and adopting the budget of the City. However, none of its functions include issuing any types of permits. In July 2021, the Metropolitan Council approved the expansion and rezoning of a 240-unit apartment complex close to Bluebonnet Boulevard. Within that same timeframe, the council also tried to reappropriate government funds meant for the library system to improve flood protection.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Baton Rouge?

You can file a complaint against a business for unfair and misleading practices with the Consumer Protection Section of the Louisiana Office of the Attorney General. To do this, you may complete an online consumer dispute form or call the Consumer Protection Section Hotline at (800) 351-4889. Alternatively, you can download and fill out a Consumer Dispute Form and send it to the Attorney General's Office via mail or in person at:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Section
  • P.O. Box 94005
  • Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005

Note that the Office of the Attorney General may take as long as four weeks or more to review and resolve a complaint, depending on its complexity. After reviewing the complaint, it may employ mediation to resolve the dispute. However, this office cannot offer legal advice or provide legal representation to private individuals. Instead, it will investigate the matter and, where necessary, file a lawsuit against the defaulting business under the New Orleans Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Law. However, you can consult with a private attorney and file a lawsuit against the business with the Baton Rouge Small Claims Court if the case does not involve more than $5,000. If the matter involves more than $5,000, then you can file the lawsuit at the Baton Rouge City Court.